What if my student has an ANAPHYLACTIC REACTION at school?

Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that has a rapid onset and may be fatal. It may be caused by certain foods, synthetic materials, or insect bites. These foods may include, but are not limited to: peanuts, tree nuts, milk, shell fish, fish, eggs, wheat, and soy. Studies indicate that 16% to 18% of school age children who have food allergies have had a reaction at school. Additionally, 25% of the anaphylactic reactions that occur in school occur in students that have not yet been diagnosed with a food allergy. In 2013, the Wisconsin State Legislature passed a bill, Wisconsin Act 239, that allows schools to maintain stock epinephrine for all students in the event of an anaphylactic reaction. The Cedar Grove Belgium School District now has a Protocol for Treatment of Anaphylaxis in place for all students. This protocol has been approved by the District's Medical Advisor. Epinephrine (Epi-pen) is available in each of the schools; the District is currently in the process of training staff on the use and administration of epinephrine.